Move over ice cream sandwiches! FroYo fruit sandwich bites are the new kids’ dessert in town! This recipe’s name might be a mouthful, but you and your kids will love eating mouthfuls of these delightfully cool and healthy dessert bites all summer!
As a professional DIYer and auntie, I’m always looking for ways to spoil my six awesome nieces and nephews, as well as teaching them to do things for themselves. When I’m also able to set a healthy-life example, that’s the trifecta of “Auntie-ism”!
Around our home, summer is the time of get-together celebrations, and fresh fruit is often the guest of honor! We’re all quite aware of the 2-3 month, in-season window for strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, peaches, nectarines, and on and on, so one or more are served in almost every meal.
That’s why I created today’s healthy summer dessert that’s perfect for picnics, as a snack or after-meal sweet. Oh! And the kids will just love making their own “mini-sammiches”, too. With only 26 calories per fruity, froyo creamy bite, everyone will be smiling and screaming for more!
Ingredients: (Serving Size: 1 sandwich, calories: 26)
48 Reduced Fat Vanilla Wafers
¾ cup fresh strawberries (chopped)
¾ cup fresh blueberries
1 medium banana (chopped)
1 cup 2% Greek yogurt
1 cup vanilla bean frozen yogurt (or low-fat vanilla bean ice cream like Halo Top)
1. Take a muffin tin and place 1 vanilla wafer, upside down, in each cup.
2. Pulse strawberries in a blender, then add bananas and blend.
3. Pour fruit mixture into a medium bowl, then add blueberries, yogurt, and froyo. Gently stir to incorporate all ingredients. Be careful not to over stir.
4. Using a mini ice cream scoop or spoon, place a dollop of fruit mixture onto each vanilla wafer. Top with a second wafer.
5. Freeze for 4 hours.
6. Remove each wafer with a spoon. These sandwiches are rustic, so each one will have their own personality. Enjoy!
Enjoy this cool, creamy ‘n crunchy treat all summer long. You’ll create new memories for the kids and have a blast making them!